This month holds many special days which we’ll celebrate through play, crafts, and stories. First is Lunar New Year, it’s the year of the Tiger! A Dim sum restaurant will be open for the month in our play centres, offering playful ways of learning about culture, currency and manners. Next is Groundhog Day, Feb. 2, a chance to learn about predictions, shadows and the change of seasons.
Other upcoming special days include Winter Olympics, Quebec’s Winter Carnival, Black History Month, Valentine’s Day, Anti-Bullying (pink shirt) Day and Family Day! Also, we have to fit in 2 days of report card preparation and professional development so February is a very full, short month!
A group acting out The Mitten – oral storytelling with dramatic play is a great way to practice language and social skills.
The week ahead: Jan. 31-February 4
- Monday & Tuesday – at the park – the weather looks sunny! Feb. 1 is the Lunar New Year.
- Wednesday – at FLE. Home reading book exchange. Groundhog Day. Primary Assembly (Virtual)
- Thursday – at FLE. Library book exchange.
- Friday – at FLE. Aboriginal Beading workshop.
- Pro-D day coming up on Friday, Feb. 11