Pheww! What a busy week! Here are a few of the photos of our learning about the moon cycle, playing with playdough ‘snow’ and painting real snow, and singing carols. I hope you enjoyed seeing your children at the concert and reading about their progress in their report cards.
The week ahead: Dec. 12-16
*Each day, we will be doing a craft in the afternoon from 1:00-2:00PM. Would any parents like to help out? If so, email me or let me know at the door. 1 parent per day.
- Monday – A.M. Community Walk – Xmas Scavenger Hunt, P.M. Crafts with our Kindergarten friends
- LEAP parent meeting @ 5:00 pm in the library – have your say about the future of this special program
- Tuesday – Fun Sock Day, Christmas Store, PM craft
- Wednesday – Holiday Sweater Day, Christmas Store, PM craft
- Thursday – PJ Day, Pancake Breakfast, PM craft
- Friday – Holiday Hat Day, AM Walk to Historic Fort Langley to decorate a tree with our K friends. PM Craft and The Grinch (30 min. version)
We are almost as busy as elves getting ready for Christmas at Fort Langley Elementary! All week we’ll be practicing for the concert, decorating the gym, hall and class, and learning about symmetry, the moon, owls and winter words.
*Reminder – we are at the school every school day until Holiday Break.
- Monday – carol sing-along at 1:30 PM at the outdoor classroom
- Tuesday – fun lunch
- Wednesday – music
- Thursday – last library book exchange before Christmas – please help our librarian gather all the books back for their winter hibernation!
- Concerts: 12:30 PM and 6:00 PM
- Friday – Report cards published on MyEdBC
It was a “feet-on” learning experience at the beach as students investigated what makes some sand ‘quicksand’ and some not.
Movember event: Langley Environmental Partners Society is inviting the community to come out for a Movember ivy pull event in the spirit of mental well-being (for men and everyone else, too!). Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 26-27, 10AM-12PM at Steele Park. Fundraising Info
The week ahead: Nov. 28-Dec. 2
- Monday – Campfire and boat creation day! Please send materials either pre-assembled or ready to assemble into a boat with minimal help. Help your child plan ahead for a successful project: it should have a string attachment for pulling the boat, be waterproof and stable. Teachers will provide marshmallows and we will carve roasting sticks as a class activity.
- Tuesday – We’re keeping an eye on the snowy forecast but hoping for a last day at the park.
- Wednesday – at FLE.
- Thursday – at FLE. Fun lunch and Library book exchange. Jersey Day!
- Friday – at FLE.
Kindergartens painting ‘en plein air’ with their crazy hair! We also enjoyed the sunny, frosty days at the park. Students took photos of the beauty they saw in the ice and played with their twig people.
The week at a glance: Nov. 21-25
- Monday – at the park. Salmon Forest program with LEPS. Please pay $4 online.
- Tuesday – at the park. More salmon activities.
- Wednesday – at FLE. Donut day.
- Thursday – at FLE. Library book exchange.
- Friday – at the park.
Looking ahead: Save a recycled container or two to make a boat next week. We’ll have a marshmallow roast on one of our last days. Friday will be at the school.
Students had a great time exploring the new park location and creating critters with leaves outside. In the gym this week, they got to learn hip-hop dance routines with Jess Dance. I hope they can show you their moves!
The week ahead: November 7-11
- Monday/Tuesday – although scheduled at the park, I’ve come down with something this weekend and will be staying home until I’m feeling well. Kindergarten class will be at the school this week due to the TTOC.
- Wednesday – At the school.
- Thursday – At the school. Library book exchange. Remembrance Day Assembly at 9:00 AM in the gym. Our class is singing a song “Peace Like a River” with the other LEAP classes. Students should arrive dressed in either a white or black shirt if possible. Poppy stickers or pins will be provided. Parents are welcome to attend.
- Friday – Remembrance Day. No school.
Last week was a hoot with bat and pumpkin activities, leaf piles, cozy fires and baked apples. Check out the photos!
Learning fire safety rules
Practicing roosting like a bat.
Playing the Bat and Bug game.
Free pumpkin giveaway from the Borlands!
The week ahead: Oct.31 – Nov.4
- Monday: Halloween at school. Students can wear or bring costumes but should also be prepared to play outside on the playground.
- Tuesday: At the new park. Meet near the day use picnic shelter. Please help your child become familiar with the pit toilets here before you drop off.
- Wednesday: At school.
- Thursday: At school. Fun lunch.
- Friday: At school. Mrs. St Pierre will be absent, so our class is at the school today. (All other LEAP classes are at the park.)
We are making collections of interesting natural objects for journaling. Students use their 4 senses to notice, describe and draw them in detail.
The week ahead: October 24-28
- Monday – at the park. Pumpkin activities. Wear rain gear and warm layers!
- Tuesday – at the park. More pumpkin and fall activities!
- Wednesday – at FLE. Send money for cookie day if you want to.
- Thursday – at FLE. Library book exchange. Cookie Day.
- Friday – at the park.
- Monday, Oct. 31 – at FLE for Halloween activities. Students are welcome to wear or bring costumes (no weapons, masks). Please keep candy to a minimum in lunches. We will have a costume parade and fun Halloween crafts and games.
There was a lot of fun and learning at the pumpkin patch. We learned the life cycle of the pumpkin, and interacted with many animals, from cute bunnies to huge cows. We also did more apple investigations, story telling and art.
This week at the park, due to maintenance work, the only parking available is the overflow gravel lots near the entrance.
The week ahead: Oct. 17-21
Monday – at the park. Leaf activities.
Tuesday- at the park. We’ll make a friendship (veggie) soup. Please send a little container (about 1 cup) of chopped vegetable of your child’s choice and a spoon to enjoy the soup in the container.
Wednesday- at the school. Early Dismissal for Parent Conferences at 1:08.
Thursday – at the school. Early Dismissal for Parent Conferences at 1:08. Library. Fun Lunch.
Friday – Professional Day. No school for students.
I hope everyone had a happy and delicious Thanksgiving!
Last week’s learning included patterns with natural materials, squirrel crafts, stories and sharing gratitude for the natural world. We were lucky to spot a horse and rider enjoying the park, too.
The week ahead: October 11-14
Harvest themed activities: Apples, Sunflowers, Pumpkins
*Reminders: Socks for ‘Socktober’, Sign up for Conferences
- Monday – no school for Thanksgiving
- Tuesday – at the park.
- Wednesday – at FLE.
- Thursday – at FLE. Library Day and Pumpkin Patch field trip. Drivers, please be at the classroom at 9:00 AM. Students will need a carseat/booster, boots, light jacket, labeled bag, pocket snack and water bottle.
- Friday – at the park.