Our learning about the provincial election kicks off this week. Including your child in discussions about local issues and sharing media reports with them will help them rock the Student Vote on May 8.
Monday, April 24 – Math Test Ch. 6 Ratio and Percent. MLA and Liberal candidate Rich Coleman will speak to students about being an MLA and the Liberal platform.
Tuesday, April 25 – Band, Jump Rope for Heart Assembly
Wednesday, April 26 – Scratch projects due. Library.
Thursday, April 27 – Green candidate Bill Masse will speak to students about the Green party platform and his reasons for running. Gym will be outside.
Friday, April 28 – Band, enrichment
Hopefully everyone enjoyed their Easter weekend! Congratulations to all the students for a successful Heritage Fair last week. I am very proud of how well the students were able to communicate about their topics to all the judges, in French and English.
Tuesday – Field trip to Nicomekl Hatchery – bus leaves at 8:55. Please be on time and dress for the weather. Students will not need band instruments today.
Wednesday and Thursday – The Scratch projects are now due on Wednesday, April 26 instead of April 19. Students will get Wednesday and Thursday this week to work on the projects and Mme Markin will be there to help with technical issues. Mme St. Pierre is attending the Children and Nature Conference in Vancouver. CPF is presenting a french film for students on Wednesday afternoon. Thursday evening at 6pm there is an Internet Safety presentation for parents at JKE.
Friday – Band. Heritage Fair Finalists go to Fort Langley Community Hall 8:30-3:00.
Heritage Fair projects will be displayed and judged on Wednesday, April 12 & open to families and JKE classes on Thursday, April 13. More details to follow on the times of day that Div. 5 is in the gym.
- Students will find it exciting at first, then tiring and long, so please send pocket snacks, a bottle of water and a good book.
- Headphones and cellphones will not be permitted in the gym.
- Please send all projects on Tuesday for last minute touch-ups and to set up at the end of the day in the gym. Special artifacts should be brought Wednesday morning.
- The project should include all of the following:
- A display board with titles, subtitles, visuals and information glued or taped on.
- A ‘creative element': quiz, model, timeline, ipad, costume, food…the sky is the limit (well…no live animals or fire or …)
- A printed report (this can just be a repetition of the information on the board). There is no set number of pages but most projects have at least 3 paragraphs. This should be in French, typed and grammar corrected.
- A bibliography (a list of print, internet and interview research sources).
- A one-page Project Summary in English (started in class today).
- To prepare for project assessment, please practice answering the questions and look over the criteria on the attached Heritage Fair Judging Sheets.
We’ll be learning tons of new things this final term: Ratios, Geometry with triangles, Chemistry, Novel studies and the Student Vote. Track and Field is just around the corner, too. And wait ’til you see how our spuds, our bulbs and our salmon have grown! See you all tomorrow.
- Monday – Bring all your materials for learning back to school. Remember your Heritage Fair work. Bring your water bottle and inside shoes, too!
- Tuesday – Band
- Wednesday – Library, Mme Markin, Bring back Everest books
- Thursday – Gym
- Friday – Band
- French Speech Finals for Ève and Ellaena: Noel Booth Elem. April 4, 1:00-3:00
- Heritage Fair in the Gym: Wednesday, April 12 (Judging) and Thursday, April 13
- Easter weekend: Friday, April 14 – Monday, April 17
- Salmon Release Field Trip: Tuesday, April 18
Monday – French speeches, Permission forms due for Extreme Air Park – We need drivers!
Tuesday – French speeches, Spring Band concert at 1:30 and 7:00 (Arrive at 6:40).
Wednesday – Mme Markin, library, early dismissal at 1:45 for Student-led Conferences – sign up here
Thursday – Extreme Air Park 9:15-12:00, early dismissal at 1:45 for Parent-Teacher Conferences – sign up here
Friday – Band, Spuds in Tubs planting, Space Books due at end of day.
Hello everyone, this week it is time to sign up for Parent-Teacher or Student-led Conferences. Report Cards go home on Friday, March 3.
Monday – Happy Monday
Tuesday – Band
Wednesday – Mme Markin teaches, library, return Everest
Thursday – Gym
Friday – Report Cards go home, Speed Control Assembly, Band
Monday – Happy Snow Day! If you’re looking for something to do 😉 home work could include Try It Out for math test and research Heritage Fair topics (see Heritage Fair Links)
Tuesday – Band, Ch. 1 Math Review for test on Thursday
Wednesday – Mme Markin, Library – Hand in any late work in English, Careers and Art
Thursday – Math test, Gym, Uke Concert
Friday – Band, enrichment
Jan. 30 Monday – Heritage Fair work period, Robots! Scholastic order due.
Jan. 31 Tuesday – Band, Heritage Fair work period, Math Leçon 5 due
Feb. 1 Wednesday – Mme Markin, Read Everest chapters, Collaboration Day Dismissal at 1:30
Feb. 2 Thursday – Gym, Outdoor Science activities, Sweater Day! Maths Leçon 6 due.
Feb. 3 Friday – Band, Dictée des planètes, Maths Exerce-toi due.
* As discussed in class, here is a copy of the grading rubric for note-taking and research for the Heritage Fair, due Feb. 17. Student notes can be hand-written, on the handouts provided or on any paper, or printed/emailed from a computer.
Extra math practice with variables and expressions – don’t do the practice with 2 variables!
All students need a USB Memory stick for projects! At home this week, prepare your Home Reading in French sheets (Mme St. Pierre will be checking on Monday, Feb. 6) and continue to research your Heritage Fair topic, bringing your materials to school each day. In math, we are learning Patterns and Expressions with Variables (Ch.1).
Monday – Math Ch.1, Leçon 1 due, Project Soul Assembly at 1:00
Tuesday – Band, Math Ch.1, Leçon 2 due
Wednesday – Library, Everest, Story Mind Map
Thursday – Gym, Math Ch.1, Leçon 3 due
Friday – Band, Math Ch.1, Leçon 4 due